Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Nap On Top of "Woolf Mountain"

Tuesday morning I went hiking like planned to Picket post mountain! When I was a kid my Dad used to drive back and forth from Mesa to Globe to work the dental office before we moved down there and he used to wonder what the name of the mountain right next to Superior AZ was. He didn't know it so he just called it "Woolf Mountain" we called it that for years and even named the different lumps on top of it after each of us kids ha ha!
The hike was pretty intense indeed! It didn't help that I took a 2-3 miles wrong turn and ended up on the back side of the mountain. Ended up coming back and seriously considered not hiking to the top. But I did anyway! Reminded me a lot of the Superstition Flat Iron hike but more gravely and consistently steep. I got to the top and was pretty much exhausted. I realize when I'm hiking I don't like to slow down and sometimes push myself a little much and overdue myself in the process. So I was pretty excited to be at the top but more excited to sit down and take a breather. Ended up taking a half hour nap under a huge rocky shaded area. The area looked like prime lizard habitat but it of course it's the wrong season to see anything interesting anymore. Only a billion side blotched lizards aka "Uta stansburiana" I'm sure you don't care about the scientific name but hey, it's my blog, get over it.
Took my nap ate my left over pancake I brought with and some cookie crisp so good. I brought plenty of water with me this time so I had enough to get me by unlike a recent solo trip to Flat Iron where I thought I was going to pass out. I took pictures up top which I will post on here at some point soon. It was a fun hike. Although I think I am now even sicker than I was because I hiked the 8 or so miles my little caught has turned into a full blown cold. So today, which is veterans day, I didn't go hiking like I had planned, just sat around being lazy. The End.
P.s. Funny story, went to get some substrate for the bottom of my snakes cage at Petsmart with my nephew. Was looking at their reptiles and noticed they were selling two female eastern collard lizards "Crotaphytus collaris". They looked rather weak and sickly and not the typical strong proud lizard I'm used to. $49 bucks pahaha! I Thought that was silly. I was tempted to buy them for our male collard lizard in the Terrarium but decided they were too weak for him and wouldn't have the same survival instincts as a wild caught one would.









2 comments:

  1. yeah...you and your strenuous hikes. haha. It's awesome that you can make those hikes though, wish I could keep up but we all found out I fail at that. =P Glad you had fun though and took some cool pictures!

    ReplyDelete