Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Lizard Vivarium

Well, for months now I've been thinking about purchasing or building a large terrarium to house several native lizard species Collard Lizards Long Nosed Leopard Lizards or Chuckwallas. Depending on on how well they get along I wanna get as many different species as I can. Anyway, so I was looking around for ideas to either build or purchase a rather large tank to keep them in and so I stopped by several different Goodwill stores and Pet stores. While I was at Petco on Power and Baseline I saw how they kept their ferrets in a hexagonal tank that was pretty much a 3 foot in all directions it sitting on a stand that had storage. I asked the employee if he knew where they bought their tanks from for the displays. He didn't know... but he told me that the empty tank that was pretty much the same model was for sale!

















I checked it out it was a pretty large tank and I wasn't sure if it could fit in my room... it was $200 of which was going to some pet charity. I didn't have the money on me at the time so I waited until I had the extra cash, it took like a month before that happened so I'd stop by every couple weeks to make sure it was still there. I got a dj job and had worked some extra hours at the school and got enough money! First thing the next morning I went and purchased the tank.





















And since I had so long to think about getting it I already had a plan on how I was going to design the thing. Since there was a support bar in the center of the terrarium I decided to make a rock pile in the middle to sort of cover it up and yet make the best use of the space in the middle leaving more space around it. I had seen some cool fake rock walls and things on the Internet made out of Styrofoam and grout mix. I really didn't want to carry a bunch of real rocks around in my car and have all that excess weight in the terrarium. So that's what I did, I went dumpster diving and found some Styrofoam pieces in the back of a furniture store. What I started carving down to a more rock-ish shape with a kitchen knife and razor blades. (Be careful kids!)




















I realized it was going to be quite a mess so I put a tarp down to try and catch most of the shavings. But ended up just doing it on a table on my back porch. The more I carved the more it started looking like real rocks. I also realized it was going to gain some rock-like aesthetics from the sand treated grout mix I had purchased in a dirt color. What, now that I think about it, I should have bought a grey color to look more rock like, anyhow. After sculpting all my rocks some of which were hallowed out so they could have a cave like function once they were grouted. I hot glued the rocks in a pile with gaps and little bridges in a way to make a lizard happy (Ha!). Then I used this foam spray stuff to fill in the gaps and cracks and also serve as another sort of adhesive.

















Now comes the fun part. Made up my sand treated gout mix and started smearing it with my hands all over the foam rocks. This was quite entertaining and very messy so of course I had it on a tarp. It was quite the process making sure every single rack and underside was covered. After like a half hour of this I realized how much easier and efficient it would be if I used a paint brush to evenly distribute the grout on the structure. So much faster. It kinda' looked like a giant pile of doggy doo after I was finished but I was going to add some acrylic paint to give it more rock-like texture.






















I then got some acrylic paints and put them in a cheap spray bottle, red grey and black and sprayed splotched layers of the colors to give it a rocky look. After which I sprayed the sealant on the grout what... sealed it. When it dried it was rock hard.























Then I've been adding some plants a off shoot of kriasote bush and brittle bush and triangle bersage and a little pin cushion cacti that somebody had kicked up on a trail I was on. Hopefully they will take root!

2 comments:

  1. wow that looks freekin cool! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow darrell, that's awesome! I'm glad you were able to buy the vivarium! The rocks look WAY awesome! It was a stroke of genius to use styrofoam! ^__^

    ReplyDelete